I am only including a scant amount of information on here about these movements. I've left out specific information involving moving the Qi thru the Meridian Channels because it's best learned in a face-to-face class. Besides, it's more fun that way!
The Qigong classes that I teach focus on the self-healing techniques of Medical, or Health Qigong, by moving the Qi around for energy stimulation & awakening. Consistency is crucial in the practice of Qigong in order to keep the energies flowing toward each other as we'll as outward, which means:
- Try to practice at the same time of day. I do it first thing in the morning, but that's not always convenient for those who work & like to sleep;
- Always begin the movements from LEFT to RIGHT;
- The movements must be systematically repeated equally for each set of 1-8. The proper REPETITION for Ba Duan Jin is EIGHT (8)…after all, this is "Eight (8)-Piece" Brocade. However, for limited class time, four (4) is acceptable for learning;
- Each movement must be HELD for a total of eight (8) seconds; and four (4) seconds for class time;
- The Qi cleansing done in-between each of the eight (8) movements should also be done eight (8) times, and for class, four (4).
Here is a listing of the Ba Duan Jin movements in the order that they are (usually) taught. There are some disagreements about the order when a group of Qigong masters get together, which is normal for pretty much everything related to the martial arts. I've had two (2) master teachers and this is the order that they both used (thankfully).
Pressing up to the heavens with 2 hands -
To regulate the Triple Burner by giving it a good "jump start;"
Drawing the bow & letting the arrow fly -
Opens the Chest & Lungs;
Separating heaven & earth -
To regulate the Spleen & Stomach;
Wise owl gazes backward -
Relief of exhaustion & injuries of the five (5) Internal Organs
caused by the seven (7) Human Emotions, by looking backwards;
Big bear turns from side to side -
To eliminate the Heart Fire;
Punching with angry gaze -
To increase Qi & strength;
Touching the toes then bending backwards -
To strengthen the Kidneys & waist;
Shaking the body & bouncing the toes -
Bouncing with a jolt to help the 100 illnesses totally disappear.
Guarding the Qi